Sign by September 25, 2021
Petition Against U.S. Economic Blockade of Cuba and on Canada-Cuba Relations
NB: The following item is posted strictly for information. The Canadian Network on Cuba informs that following the 44th general election on September 20, 2021, a new petition to the Government of Canada will be forthcoming.
The Canadian Network on Cuba informs that a petition to the Government of Canada against the U.S. Economic Blockade of Cuba and on Canada-Cuba Relations is now open for signatures. We urge everyone to sign the petition themselves and get others to also sign. Set yourselves a goal to get as many signatures as you can. Ask three others to sign it and get each one of them to also get three others and each of them to get three others and so on.
The petition (e-3456) is sponsored by Niki Ashton, Member of Parliament for the federal constituency of Churchill–Keewatinook Aski in Manitoba.
Text of Petition to Government of Canada
The government of the United States has imposed economic sanctions, amounting to an economic war, against Cuba for more than 60 years, constituting the principal obstacle to Cuba’s social and economic development, having cost in excess of $100 billion;
The Government of the United States has pressured and coerced other countries to participate in its regime of economic sanctions against Cuba;
The United States economic sanctions and the campaign of subversion against Cuba are a violation of international law, the right of self-determination and the human rights of the people of Cuba; and
Since 1992, the international community, including Canada, has rejected United States economic sanctions against Cuba through overwhelming votes in the United Nations General Assembly.
We, the undersigned, citizens and residents of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to:
1. Call on the Government of the United States to end all economic sanctions against Cuba;
2. Call on the Government of the United States to cease its campaign of subversion and policy of hostility and aggression against Cuba;
3. Call on the Government of the United States to remove Cuba from the United States Department of State’s List of State Sponsors of Terror;
4. Take immediate steps and actions through the implementation and enforcement of, among others, the Foreign Extraterritorial Measures Act, in order to preserve Canadian sovereignty and ensure that Canadian companies and other entities do not participate in United States economic sanctions against Cuba; and
5. Ensure that its relations with Cuba be based on equality and the respect of sovereignty, independence and the right of self-determination.
To sign the petition, click here.